Tuesday, October 29, 2013

The Results Are In - I'm Not Sure I'm Ready

It's been a busy two weeks for us with doctor's appointments. Last week Tommy went in for follow-up repeat allergy blood testing, today he went to an ENT for his tonsils and Thursday we're going to see a Dietitian. 

The Allergy Test Results

Tommy's latest round of allergy blood test results are in. His levels for beef, pineapple and rice came back low and we were given the direction to carefully try re-introducing those. All of the rest of the foods came back high and we will continue a strict avoidance of those (wheat, barley, corn, eggs, dairy, peas, peanuts, tree nuts, lentils and mustard).

I'm not sure I'm ready to try rice again. On the one hand it would simplify our life a ton, but on the other hand I'm pretty traumatized from his previous reactions. In the past, when Tommy has eaten rice (brown rice cereal and white rice baked goods) he has horrible horrible projectile vomit. Even from a bit of a cookie made with rice flour. Ben seems confident that we can try it again. So I guess this Saturday we're going to give him a couple grains of rice and see what happens. I'm definitely scared though.

Tommy's Tonsils

About two months ago I noticed a weird looking growth on one of Tommy's tonsils and that tonsil was enlarged. I took him to the pediatrician and she said it looked ok and just watch to see if it grows or bothers him. Fast forward to his allergist appointment last week, and now both of his tonsils are quite large. So we called and got a referral to an Ear, Nose and Throat doctor. Over the past couple weeks Tommy has been snoring more and breathing loudly during the day. This is all likely due to his enlarged tonsils. He also stirs a lot in his sleep. So there's a real concern that he could be having sleep apnea. After an exam, the ENT determined that surgery was the best option to improve Tommy's breathing. He doesn't think that the weird growth is a polyp, just a weird nodular shaped tonsil. 

Now we have a week and a half to prepare for his surgery. I'm going to try and stockpile soft Tommy-safe foods for his recovery. I'm finally going to get around to making coconut milk ice cream. This is going to be a long week and a half for me. I'm already anxious thinking about his surgery and recovery. Ben's much more calm since he remembers when he had them out as a kid and that his recovery was better than his two older siblings. 

The Dietitian

We won't meet with them until Thursday. Tommy's growing well and definitely eats healthy. But sometimes I worry that he may be missing some sort of critical nutrients since he has so many food limitations. So it'll be nice to get the reassurance of a professional and also get any tips they have for balancing his diet. 

I'm glad I'm not the patient at all of these appointments. I feel like my blood pressure/anxiety levels are pretty high. Thankfully Tommy is blissfully unaware of the upcoming surgery. 


1 comment:

  1. Ugh, hang in there, this too shall pass and will soon be a memory. I'll be thinking about you, you're a strong Mama :) and Tommy...well, he'll do great!

    ReplyDelete