Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Gluten Free Vegan Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Bread

I grew up in Half Moon Bay, CA. Every year my hometown has a huge Pumpkin Festival. We're serious about our pumpkins. I love everything pumpkin spice. Nothing feels more like fall to me than cool, crisp, beautiful days and anything pumpkin. 

I tried modifying my favorite recipe for chocolate chip pumpkin bread. The flavor is delicious, but it's really crumbly. So this recipe is more of a starting point and definitely has room for improvement. 


I'm still not used to the weird phenomenon in gluten free baking where breads can be moist and crumbly. I'm used to wheat flour, where it's crumbly when it's too dry and you can fix it with more liquid. This bread needs some more binders. I think next time I'll try adding some psyllium husks or flaxmeal.

On the plus side, Tommy loves it. And you can lick the bowl when you're done making the batter since it's doesn't contain eggs! 

Gluten Free Vegan Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Bread

1 cup unsweetened pumpkin
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup canola oil
1 Tbsp Ener G Egg Replacer
1/4 cup warm water
3/4 cup potato starch
3/4 cup sorghum flour
1/4 cup millet flour
1 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp cinnamon
3/4 tsp allspice
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking powder
1 cup mini semi sweet chocolate chips (Enjoy Life Brand)

1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray 4 mini loaf pans with nonstick spray.
2. In a small bowl, mix together the egg replacer and water.
3. In a large bowl, beat together the pumpkin, sugar, oil and egg replacer mixture. 
4. Add the rest of the ingredients except for the chocolate chips. Stir to combine. Fold in the chocolate chips.
5. Divide the batter between the loaf pans. Bake for 30 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Store in the fridge or freeze for later.

No comments:

Post a Comment