Wednesday, October 16, 2013

If You Like Bacon, You Need to Make This (Loaded Roasted Squash)

We took a long weekend and went to Moab with several friends and their families. It was such a wonderful trip. Plenty of time outdoors, good food and great laughs. But now it's back to real life. 

Corona Arch

We loved the soup I made last week so much, that we're having hot dogs again tonight just so we'll have leftovers. And this time I won't be using lentils. The soup's on the menu for Friday, so keep an eye out for the recipe.

So tonight we're having turkey hot dogs, Loaded Roasted Squash and salad. A nice healthy meal after a weekend of overindulgence. This squash recipe is so good. It's like having loaded mashed potatoes, but with less calories and a lot more nutrients. 

I like to make all of our own salad dressings. I love the flavor of fresh dressings so much better than the ones I've had from the shelf. I like salad dressings that are more on the sweet side and light on the oil. So today I'll share my recipe for my Balsamic Vinaigrette. This is my usual go to salad dressing. I like to chop up an apple and have it soak in the dressing for about 10 minutes while I finish the rest of dinner before I add the lettuce. 


Loaded Roasted Squash

2 medium acorn squash
1 medium butternut squash
6 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
1 Tbps coconut oil
1 bunch of green onions, sliced
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp garlic powder

1. Preheat oven to 425°F. 
2. Cut squash in half and scrape out seeds. Place squash cut side down on baking sheet sprayed with oil.
3. Bake for 45 minutes until the squash is tender.
4. Let the squash cool for a few minutes. Scoop out the pulp and discard skins. 
5. In a dutch oven pan, combine squash and the rest of the ingredients. Heat until warmed.

Balsamic Vinaigrette

1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
1/2 Tbsp maple syrup
1/2 Tbsp canola oil
1 tsp whole seed mustard
1/4 tsp black pepper
1 small apple (optional)

1. Combine all ingredients at the bottom of a large bowl. Stir together to combine.
2. Optional: Core and dice an apple. Toss it with the dressing. Let sit for 10 minutes.
3. Add lettuce and toss gently. 

No comments:

Post a Comment