Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Sloppy Salad

Yesterday I didn't feel like going to the store, so I decided to make Sloppy Joes for dinner since I had a can of Sloppy Joe Sauce and extra buns from the weekend. Today I used the leftover meat in a salad for lunch. Disclaimer: this recipe isn't really Tommy safe. The prepared sauce has "spices" and "natural flavors", which may mean that it contains mustard. So no sauce for Tommy. But, it is dairy, gluten, rice and egg free. I bought a ton of tomato paste at a case lot sale recently, so in the future I'll make my own Sloppy Joe sauce that Tommy can eat too. Dinner last night was good, but this salad was delicious!  


Sloppy Salad

1/2 cup Sloppy Joe Meat
2 cups chopped lettuce
1/2 avocado, diced
Juice from 1/2 lime

1. If using leftovers, warm meat.
2. In a salad bowl or plate, layer lettuce, meat and avocado. 
3. Squeeze lime juice over the top. Enjoy!

Sloppy Joe Meat

1 lb ground turkey
1/2 large onion, diced
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
1/2 bag coleslaw mix (just the vegetable mix, not the kind that has dressing)
1 can Manwich Sloppy Joe Sauce

1. In a large skillet, cook turkey, onion and pepper over medium heat.
2. Stir in remaining ingredients. Cook over medium low heat until the cabbage is wilted and the sauce warmed.
3. Serve on buns or use in Sloppy Salad

No comments:

Post a Comment