Thursday, September 19, 2013

Why I Don't Ask First

Unless someone has food allergies or intolerances, I usually just cook what I feel like eating. Ben's brother used to live nearby, and more than once I cooked something that I didn't realize he hated (like sweet potatoes) and he always ended up loving it. Tonight it was Ben's turn.

This is how our pre-dinner dialogue went tonight:

Me: "I thought I'd make the red cabbage from your family cookbook to go with the chicken."
Ben: "I think I hated that cabbage."
Me: "Oh."
Ben: "Well, that was a long time ago and my grandma really liked it. My mom probably wouldn't have put it in the cookbook if it wasn't good."

90 minutes later...

Ben: "This cabbage is so good. I think I could sit on the couch and eat the whole pot."

I'm so glad I didn't check with Ben before I bought the ingredients! We'll definitely be making this again. I hope it reheats well since we have a lot leftover. 


Sweet and Sour Red Cabbage

1 medium head red cabbage, chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
2 tablespoons bacon fat
2 apples, cored and chopped
1 tsp salt
1 tsp ground black pepper
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
1 1/2 cups water

1. Remove and discard the outer cabbage leaves. 
2. Melt bacon fat in a dutch oven sized pot.
3. Add remaining ingredients and simmer for 1 hour.

No comments:

Post a Comment