Monday, September 9, 2013

Pantry Pizza Night

Friends of ours got married this last weekend, and my mom came into town to watch Tommy. It was a very fun but very busy weekend. I haven't gone to the grocery store in a few days and our fridge is looking pretty empty. 

Last night I made my fish tacos and I had some leftover mango salsa. I didn't have any red bell peppers yesterday, so the mango salsa was just mangoes, yellow onion, green onions and lime juice. And we still had some leftover pork from the pork pot roast. So tonight we had pantry pizza. 



I made a pizza sauce from items I had in the pantry and topped it with pork, mango salsa, vegan mozzarella, and olives. It's my take on a Hawaiian Pizza. 



The vegan mozzarella wasn't all that bad. This is the first time I've used this cheese substitute and it was easy to shred. It sort of melted too. And it's the only cheese type food I've found that doesn't contain something Tommy's allergic to.



It was delicious, pretty quick, and best of all I didn't have to go to the store. I think this is our best pizza yet.

Pantry Pizza Sauce

6 oz can tomato paste
6 oz water
14.5 oz can diced tomatoes
2 tsp sugar
2 tsp dry minced onions
1 tsp dry minced garlic
1 tsp ground black pepper
1 tsp dried basil

Combine all ingredients and simmer for 10 minutes. This made enough to for two pizzas.

No comments:

Post a Comment