Monday, September 23, 2013

Leftover Madness Part 3 (Chicken Pot Pie)

I saved the best for last for our Leftover Madness. Chicken Pot Pie. Ben is what you might call a pot pie connoisseur. That man LOVES anything that's covered with a pie crust. 

Just ask our friends about the infamous dinner at the Mangy Moose in Jackson Hole, WY. (I was barely able to convince Ben not to order another whole pot pie dinner at a fancy restaurant by promising him I'd make pot pie the next week). 

I've made dairy free pot pies before, but this was my first gluten and dairy free pot pie. And I think it was the best pot pie I've ever made. Ben said, "You've made magic again in the kitchen." Pretty great compliment coming from Mr. Pot Pie himself. 

I had trouble getting the pie crust to roll out flat, so I wound up having to take little pieces at a time and press them into the right thickness. It sort of looked like a patchwork quilt crust. 



This pot pie isn't going to win any beauty contests, but it was soooooo good. The crust was even flaky! I used my homemade chicken stock and I think that really made it taste better than the chicken broth from a can I have used in the past. I used potato starch in the crust since I have a ton of that, but I would think tapioca or arrowroot starch would work just as well. I think this dough would be excellent for the bottom crust of a pie where you could just mold it into place. I can't wait to use it for pumpkin pie.

Chicken Pot Pie

One pie crust
2 Tbsp canola oil
1/2 a medium onion, chopped
2 shallots, chopped
1 tsp minced garlic
2 Tbsp potato starch
3/4 cup chicken stock
3/4 cup lite coconut milk
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp ground black pepper
2 1/2 cup chopped or shredded cooked chicken or turkey
2 carrots, peeled, diced and steamed
1/2 cup frozen shelled edamame

1. Heat oven to 425°F. Spray 9 x 9 glass baking dish with nonstick spray.
2. In a medium saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion, shallots, garlic, salt and pepper. Cook for several minutes until softened. 
3. Stir in potato starch. Cook for 2 minutes stirring frequently. Add stock and coconut milk. Stir until bubbly and thickened. Add vegetables and chicken. 
4. Pour chicken mixture into baking dish. Top with crust. Seal edge and cut slits in several places on crust. 
5. Bake 30 to 40 minutes or until the crust is browned and the filling is bubbly. Let stand 5 minutes before serving. 

Single Pie Crust (Gluten, dairy, corn and nut free)

7 Tbsp vegetable shortening
3/4 cup potato starch
1/2 cup sorghum flour
1 Tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp guar gum
4 Tbsp ice water

1. Measure out the shortening into small pieces and freeze for 30 min.
2. Process the starch, flour, sugar, salt, and guar gum in a food processor until combined. Scatter the shortening over the top and process until it looks like coarse crumbs. Add the ice water and process until smooth. 
3. Spread a large piece of plastic wrap on the counter. Form the dough into a 4 inch flat disk and wrap tightly in the plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 30-60 minutes. 
4. Press into the desired shape, working in small batches if necessary. 

No comments:

Post a Comment