Thursday, September 26, 2013

It's Finally Fall! (Roasted Squash Soup)

Summertime is nice and all, but I don't tolerate heat well. If I get too hot I get crabby and feel ill. It's not a pretty sight. 

I LOVE fall. I love the crisp cool days and not having to worry about driving in the snow. And there is pumpkin spice everywhere! It was a chilly day, but it's supposed to warm up this weekend so I really didn't want to fire up the furnace and then need the AC two days later. So as I hung out in my house in a sweatshirt today, I decided it was the perfect day for making soup. 

This soup Roasted Squash Soup is so tasty and filling. It's like eating liquid pumpkin pie. Even Tommy loved it and asked for seconds. I served it with homemade Rosemary Bagel Chips. And Wasatch Pumpkin Ale. Yum. 


There is snow on the mountaintops and warm soup in my belly. That's a pretty great fall evening in my book. 

Stay tuned....Tomorrow I'll share the secret to my Pumpkin Spice Latte hack. 

Roasted Squash Soup

2 medium acorn squash
2 cups onion, roughly chopped
1 Tbsp canola oil
2 cups chicken stock
2 cups water
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp allspice
1 cup lite coconut milk

1. Preheat oven to 425°F.
2. Pour oil on a baking sheet and spread, leaving most in the middle.
3. Toss the onions with the oil in the middle of the baking sheet.
4. Cut squash in half and scrap out seeds. Place squash on baking sheet.
5. Bake for 45 minutes until the squash and onion are tender.
6. Let squash sit for a few minutes to cool. Scoop out pulp and discard skins. 
7. In a dutch oven, add the stock, water, salt, pepper, cinnamon, allspice, onions and squash pulp. 
8. Bring to a boil and simmer for 10 minutes.
9. Puree the soup in a blender or use a stick blender. Return to pan and stir in coconut milk. 


Rosemary Bagel Chips


4 smallish plain bagels or 2 large ones
1 Tbsp canola or olive oil
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp dry rosemary

1. Preheat oven to 375°F.
2. Slice bagels into thin slices.
3. Combine all ingredients on a baking sheet and then spread the bagel slices out flat.
4. Bake for 10-15 minutes until the bagel slices turn brown. Let sit before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment