Thursday, March 20, 2014

Whole30 Greek Taco Salad

Earlier this week I bought a pound of ground lamb at the grocery store with no real plan for it. I was just excited that it would be a nice change and we already know Tommy can eat lamb. I was looking up ground lamb recipes and stumbled upon Jeff Mauro's Greek Taco Recipe. We have enough of these ingredients to be able to make something very similar. And it didn't take very many adjustments at all to make it Whole30 compliant. I also added chopped avocado to the salad. 


I only had 1 lb of lamb, so that's what I used. And I had giant regular yellow onions and not red onions. For the red wine I used red wine vinegar. For the cucumber and tomato relish I used 1/4 of an onion since my onions were huge. I made my own tatziki sauce that fit the program. The sauce was the best the second day and then got weird after a couple days. 

The first time I had the salad it was delicious. But the leftovers weren't as satisfying. I think the sauce is best prepare in advance and then the salad is best the first time. 

Whole30 Tatziki Sauce

1 cucumber
Pinch of salt
1 cup cream from a can of coconut milk
Juice of 1 lemon
1 tsp dried basil

1. Peel the cucumber and grate it on the big hole side of a box grater. Place the cucumber in a collander fitted over a bowl and season with a pinch of salt. Let sit for 10 minutes.
2. Squeeze the cucumber to remove more liquid. Combine the cucumber and the remaining ingredients in a bowl. 
3. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes and up to 24 hours. Stir before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment