Sunday, March 2, 2014

Cilantro Overload - In a Good Way

Today Ben and I had an excellent day skiing while my dad watched Tommy. We had powder all day and skied until our muscles were sore. We got home and were happy and tired. I really didn't want to cook dinner tonight. Ben and I had agreed on just making a frozen pizza for dinner, but then I realized that I didn't have anything for Tommy to eat for dinner. If I had to make something for Tommy, I might as well cook the dinner I had previously planned on making.

I made Brittany Angell's Cilantro and Lime Sweet Potatoes Hasselback Style and  Melissa d'Arabian's Shrimp with Cilantro Pesto. I followed the directions for the potatoes except I used minced garlic instead of sliced since that's what we had. The oil mixture smelled delicious, but it didn't really stand up to the sweet potatoes. I think next time I'll dice the potatoes and roast with the oil and garlic and just add the cilantro and lime for the last few minutes of cooking. 


We've made this shrimp several times before, but never for Tommy. Since the original cilantro pesto calls for pecans, I had to make a couple changes. Instead of the nuts, I tried using a stalk of celery. The pesto was really runny and too sour. So I added another teaspoon of sugar and one of the sorghum flour tortillas from our Carnitas Tacos night. That made a huge difference. This pesto has a lot of cilantro in it, but the flavors all work really well together. Ben's not really a fan of cilantro but he loves this shrimp recipe. 



Tommy put the shrimp in his mouth a couple times, but wouldn't actually eat it. Oh well, at least he didn't have an allergic reaction. I'll call that a positive first trial. I think next week I'll try making baked coconut shrimp and maybe he'll eat one of those. 

No comments:

Post a Comment