Sunday, November 24, 2013

Thanksgiving Recipes, Cranberry Sauce

Ben and I are cranberry purists. We like the simple cranberry, sugar and water mix. I'll let you in on my secret to delicious cranberry sauce. I follow the directions on the bag and then I cook it for a long time. The bag says to cook the sauce until the berries burst, about 15 minutes. But I've found it takes more like 60-90 minutes to get it to the consistency that I like. Maybe the altitude is a factor here. The regular cranberry sauce recipe is the same as the canning cranberry sauce recipe. 2 parts cranberries, 1 part sugar, and 1 part water. This time I made a big batch and used 14 cups of cranberries, 7 cups sugar and 7 cups water. I was REALLY lucky that the sauce didn't boil over. The pot I used for the sauce was way too small for all of that. 





Cranberry Sauce

2 cups whole cranberries
1 cup sugar
1 cup water

1. Wash the cranberries and throw away any that are very soft.
2. In a sauce pot over medium heat, combine the sugar and water, stirring frequently until the sugar dissolves. 
3. Add the cranberries. Cook stirring occassionally until the berries burst and the sauce is thick. (This may take an hour or more).
4. For canning, pour the hot sauce into hot jars and process boil for 10 minutes at sea level or 20 minutes at 5000 ft. 

No comments:

Post a Comment