Saturday, November 9, 2013

Banana's Foster Coconut Ice Cream

I was searching Pinterest for coconut milk ice cream recipes, and I saw one for a roasted banana ice cream. It had no added sugar. Just bananas, coconut oil and coconut milk. After our disappointing venture into date sweetened coconut ice cream (somehow it tastes like a weird medicinal bourbon), I'm leery of ice cream without added sugar. As Ben said, "There's a reason you never see date sweetened ice cream." I decided if banana ice cream was good, then Banana's Foster ice cream must be amazing! In the pre-Tommy days sometimes I would saute some bananas in butter, brown sugar and cinnamon and serve it over ice cream. So I took those flavors and just blended it all together.

OMG, I wish I had a video of Ben licking the spoon after I poured the mixture out of the blender. He said, "Wow, that could be the best ice cream ever made." Unlike the date ice cream, which tasted good before we froze it but tastes weird now, this ice cream just tastes amazing. It's nice and sweet and the flavors of banana and cinnamon really come through. I think I'll have to make another batch in the near future.




Banana's Foster Coconut Ice Cream

3 medium or 2 large bananas
1 Tbsp coconut oil
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
1 can full fat coconut milk

1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Slice the bananas in half through the width and half through the length.
3. In a small microwave safe bowl, melt the coconut oil. Stir in the brown sugar, cinnamon and salt. 
4. Toss the bananas in the sugar mixture. Bake for 10 minutes. Be careful, the syrup will be VERY hot.
5. Combine the banana mixture and coconut milk in a blender. Be sure to include all the syrup. Puree until smooth.
6. Cool mixture in a bowl with a spout in the fridge for 2 hours. Follow the directions for your ice cream maker. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment