Sunday, November 24, 2013

Thanksgiving Practice Dinner (Why Did I Think This Would Be Easy?)

Earlier this week I decided that I wanted to try out a few more recipes before Thanksgiving. Somehow I thought I could make green bean casserole from scratch (including making my own fried onions), mashed potatoes with bacon gravy and chicken all in about the same time as a usual dinner. About halfway through the cooking I was thinking, why did I ever think this was a good idea? At least I had made the cranberry sauce the day before.

I was getting pretty stressed when I realized I had been cooking for over an hour and I was still working on the green bean casserole. Tommy was fussy and running back and forth between the living room and the kitchen. It was a really long 2.5 hours. I'm surprised that everything actually came together in the end. It was like our own little mini delicious Thanksgiving dinner. On a weeknight.



I was wiped out and the kitchen was a disaster, but at least the food was delicious. Although Tommy wasn't fooled. Even with gravy he still knew the mashed potatoes were made with white potatoes and wouldn't eat them. 

Since there are several recipes from that night, I decided to give each recipe its own page and just put the links here. 

Gluten and Dairy Free Green Bean Casserole
Mashed Potatoes with Bacon Gravy
Quick Baked Chicken Tenderloins
Cranberry Sauce

No comments:

Post a Comment