Thursday, November 14, 2013

Lamb Roast and Lamb Broth

I picked up a 1 lb lamb shank a while back since it looked good but I really didn't have any plans for it. Last night we had a crock pot lamb roast with veggies. And then overnight I made more broth out of the lamb bone and a leftover pork bone that I had in the freezer. The lamb roast was soooo good. My only complaint was that the lamb shank was small so there were no meat leftovers. I served it with my Corn-Free Cornbread. We're still not sick of that cornbread. 



The broth tastes a whole lot like my chicken broth. Oh well, it'll still be good. Just not quite the meaty broth taste I thought it might have. I happened to have a can of beef broth in the pantry and just looked at the ingredients. It includes things like MSG and caramel color. No wonder my homemade broth tastes different. I'll just have to get a little creative to make French Onion Soup taste like it was made with beef broth.


Lamb Roast

1 onion, diced
3 carrots, peeled and sliced
3 ribs celery, sliced
1 lb lamb shank
1 tsp salt
1 tsp dried rosemary
1 tsp ground black pepper
1/2 tsp dried thyme
2 tsp minced garlic
2.5 lbs russet potatoes, peeled and chopped

1. Layer the ingredients in a crock pot in the order listed.
2. Cook on low 7-9 hours.


Lamb and Pork Broth

1 bone from a lamb shank
1 bone from a pork picnic roast
3 ribs celery
2 carrots
1 onion
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp dried rosemary
1/4 tsp dried thyme

1. Combine all the ingredients in a crock pot. Fill with water. Cook on low overnight (10-12 hours).
2. Let cool.
3. Strain the broth and discard the solids. Refrigerate or freeze in 1 and 2 cup containers.

No comments:

Post a Comment