Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Jello Salad - I'm Becoming a Real Utahn...

Tommy's doing pretty well on his recovery from his tonsillectomy. The first couple days Tommy LOVED jello, but not he's not very interested in it. I'm trying to get creative on soft cold things for him to eat other than applesauce. So I'm going to try my hand at making my very first jello salad. I usually try to avoid things like this, but when your little one isn't feeling well you'll try just about anything. Maybe this is a sign that I'm becoming a real Utahn...

I saw a recipe on Pinterest for a Raspberry Vanilla Jello Salad that you make with cool whip, vanilla yogurt, instant vanilla pudding and frozen raspberries. Since Tommy can't eat any of those things except for the raspberries, I had to do some experimenting. Since I don't know that I've actually eaten a jello salad since I was a kid, this may not be a classic jello salad. But I think it tastes pretty good and Tommy ate it!



Vanilla Berry Tapioca Jello Salad

1 cup refrigerated Coconut Tapioca Pudding (see below)
1 cup refrigerated Berry Fruit Juice Jello (see below)
2 cups frozen mixed berries, thawed

1. Combine the jello and berries in a blender. Puree until smooth.
2. Stir in the tapioca pudding. Serve cold.



Coconut Tapioca Pudding

2 cans full fat coconut milk
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup Minute Tapioca
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract

1. Combine all ingredients in a medium saucepan. Let sit for 5 minutes.
2. Heat mixture over medium heat stirring constantly until it reaches a full boil.
3. Remove from the heat and let sit for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Serve warm or refrigerate.



Berry Fruit Juice Jello

2 envelopes unflavored gelatin
1 cup cold berry fruit juice
2 cups berry fruit juice, heated to boiling.

1. Sprinkle gelatin over cold juice in a medium bowl. 
2. Add hot fruit juice. Stir until gelatin completely dissolves.
3. Pour into containers of your choice. Refrigerate until firm, about 3 hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment