Saturday, August 31, 2013

First Family Pizza Night (Avocado Arugula Pesto)

Tommy doesn't care much for the texture of avocados. But they’re so good for you and he’s not allergic to them. So I thought instead of giving him diced avocado, I would try and make a sort of avocado pesto. I’m using the term pesto pretty lightly since it doesn't actually contain any basil, nuts or cheese.

I made the Vegan Pizza Crust from The Essential Gluten-Free Baking Guide Part 1 by Brittany Angell and Iris Higgins. It uses millet flour and potato starch. I doubled the recipe and made two pizzas. One was a typical pizza with ground turkey, onions and red bell peppers. The second pizza I topped with my Avocado Arugula Pesto, ground turkey, onions and red bell peppers.


The typical pizza with tomato sauce was a big hit. And the pizza crust was delicious. It had a nice sort of corn flavor from the millet flour and it was easy to assemble.

The Avocado Arugula Pesto pizza was interesting. I liked it a lot more than Ben and Tommy did. It did have a nice bright flavor and the green color survived the baking. Give it a try if you love arugula and avocado and are looking for a little more of an adventurous pizza. I think the pesto would be great as a sandwich spread too.

Avocado Arugula Pesto
1 ripe avocado
2 cups arugula
2 Tbsp canola oil
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
½ tsp salt


Combine all ingredients in a blender and process until smooth.

No comments:

Post a Comment