Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Bread!

July 28 was a breakthrough day at our house. That was the day I made my first successful loaf of gluten free bread. It’s crazy to me that Tommy was 20 months old before he had his first piece of bread. For a while his only safe grains were millet and oats. I had tried making muffins with millet flour, but they were so crumbly that it wasn't worth the hassle.

Finally we had successfully trialed enough other grains. On July 28, I made the Yeast-Free, Vegan Sandwich Bread from The Essential Gluten-Free Baking Guide Part 2. It uses a combination of sorghum flour, potato starch, teff flour, and psyllium husks. And it was amazing! The bread rose in the oven and actually stays together so you can slice it! It tastes a lot like a dense whole wheat bread.


I am so excited that we have a bread recipe that’s easy to make and best of all Tommy loves it! I never thought I’d be buying things like sorghum flour. I feel fortunate that I can buy all the ingredients at our local health food store.


No comments:

Post a Comment