Thursday, February 20, 2014

Meatloaf, Sweetener Free Ketchup, and Gluten Free Baked Green Bean Fries

My cousin Kelly gave us the recipe for a Sweetener Free Ketchup. We made it the other day. I wasn't sure what "two pinches" meant, so I used 1/2 tsp ground cloves. The ketchup is much more spiced than a traditional ketchup, but it sure was easy and it is thicker than The Infamous Fruit Ketchup. Plus Tommy didn't have a reaction to this ketchup. I think next time I might add a little sugar and a little less of the spices.

The Sweetener Free Ketchup was really really good in meatloaf though! The spices worked really well with the meat and did not overpower the other flavors. We still have a lot of the ketchup left, so I think we'll be making meatloaf again in the near future. 

On the plus side, Tommy seems to be fine after having this meatloaf twice over the course of several days. That's a relief. I'm glad he's ok with grass fed beef. It gives me hope that in the future he'll be ok with traditional beef too. I started with my Bison Meatloaf and modified the recipe a little. This meatloaf was even better than the bison one.

I served the meatloaf with baked green bean fries and mashed potatoes. I saw the original recipe for Spicy Green Bean Fries on Pinterest and then modified it so make it Tommy safe. I thought the breading I made was kind of bland, but Tommy loved them. He doesn't eat a lot of green vegetables, so I'm counting this recipe as a success.

And yes, Ben and I did join Tommy at the kids table that night. Good thing Ben built sturdy chairs!


Sweetener Free Meatloaf

1 lb grass fed ground beef
1 lb ground pork
1/2 cup dry minced onion
1/2 cup coconut milk
1/2 cup sweetener free ketchup, divided
1 Tbsp coconut flour
1 tsp ground black pepper
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp dry basil
1/2 tsp smoked paprika
1/2 tsp dry rosemary

1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. 
2. In a small bowl, combine the minced onion and coconut milk. Let sit for 5 minutes.
3. In a large bowl, combine the remaining ingredients except for the ketchup. Add in the onion mixture and 1/3 cup ketchup. Mix thoroughly with your hands. 
4. Line a rimmed baking sheet with tin foil. Form the meat into a loaf. 
5. Spread the remaining ketchup over the top of the meatloaf.
6. Bake for 45-60 minutes, until the internal temperature is at least 160°F.
7. Let rest for 10 minutes before slicing.





Gluten Free Baked Green Bean Fries

8 oz green beans, washed and trimmed
3/4 cup potato starch
1/4 cup sorghum flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 cup coconut milk

1. Preheat the oven to 400°F. 
2. Spray a rimmed baking sheet with oil.
3. Place coconut milk in a bowl. Mix remaining ingredients (except for green beans) in a large shallow bowl.
4. Working in small batches, soak the green beans in the coconut milk, shake excess milk off and toss in the flour mixture.
5. Shake off excess flour and place on the baking sheet.
6. Repeat until all the green beans are coated.
7. Bake for 15-20 minutes until the green beans are crispy, stirring once during baking.

No comments:

Post a Comment