Saturday, February 22, 2014

Apple Pie Pork and Millet Polenta

Today I made the Apple Pie Pork again. I served it with polenta made out of ground hulled millet. OMG, this dinner was so good. Ben, Tommy and I all gobbled it up. It's surprisingly filling too.


Boston Butt was on sale, so I used a 3.5 lb bone in boston butt roast for the pork. The pork was nice and juicy, but I forgot that it would be challenging to remove the fat and bones when they're covered in the cooked apples. The Braeburn apples were HUGE, so I only used four. That completely filled our smaller crock pot. Next time I would use the bigger crock pot so we could have more apples. I cooked the roast and apples on low for 9 hours and that worked well.

You could grind the millet in a powerful blender or a coffee grinder. I used the Baby Bullet with the milling blade and worked in batches. The Millet Polenta makes a delicious bed for the pork and apples. The polenta was rich, creamy and best of all Tommy can eat it.



This dinner was really easy and so good. I had forgotten about this pork recipe. Now that I'm going to focus more on menu planning I think this meal will be popping up a lot more.

Millet Polenta

1 1/2 cup hulled millet
4 cups chicken broth
1 can lite coconut milk
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp ground sage
2 tablespoon Earth's Balance Vegan Buttery Sticks

1. In a medium pot, toast the millet on medium heat for several minutes, stirring frequently. Run your fingers through the millet to look for little rocks.
2. Coarse grind the millet in a powerful blender. 
3. Add the ground millet and the remaining ingredients except the vegan butter back into the pot. Bring to a boil, whisking frequently. After the mixture has begun to thicken (about 10 minutes), reduce heat, cover and simmer for another 20 minutes, whisking occasionally. The polenta is done with it is a thick creamy consistency and the millet is no longer crunchy. 
4. When the polenta is done, turn off the heat and stir in the vegan butter.

No comments:

Post a Comment