Monday, February 24, 2014

Hamburgers, Onion Sweet Potatoes and Salad

Today I made our big grocery shopping trip for the week. So far I can't think of anything I forgot to get. But it is only Monday...


Tonight I took the easy way out and the burgers are not Tommy safe. But that's ok. We have a lot of leftover pork from the Apple Pie Pork for Tommy. I used to make roasted onion potatoes with Lipton onion soup mix. They are delicious, but the mix has all sorts of added ingredients. It turns out that you can pretty much get the same taste with roasted sweet potatoes if you just use salt, pepper, and dry minced onions.

Tommy has been liking lettuce lately. His Early Intervention Occupational Group has done vegetables with Catalina Dressing a couple times and all the kids like it. I was going to make my own dressing so it wouldn't have any artificial dyes or preservatives, but then I didn't get around to looking for a recipe and decided to just buy the dressing. Tommy loves it, and if it gets him to eat more raw veggies, even better. 


Onion Sweet Potatoes

3 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
2 Tbsp oil
1 Tbsp dry minced onion
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper

1. Preheat oven to 425°F.
2. Toss all ingredients together in a 9 x 13 baking dish.
3. Bake for 40 minutes, stirring twice.

2 comments:

  1. I'll have to try this-I have been making the roasted potatoes with just olive oil and sea salt and surprisingly my husband decided he loved them! I bet he would like them with the onion powder too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, definitely try it with onion or dry rosemary. I like the little dried minced onions that are little crunchy pieces of onion, but I'm sure onion powder would taste great too.

      Delete