Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Loaded Sweet Potato Salad

I was trying to figure out what kind of side dish I could bring to a BBQ that was tasty, Tommy safe and good cold. I don't care for regular mayonnaise based potato salads. But I figured if I made one with the cream from a can of coconut milk, and loaded it with bacon it would be ok. And I was right. This is delicious. I forgot to take a picture right when I made it, and this was all that was left. I'll definitely be making this a lot this summer. 



Loaded Sweet Potato Salad

2 sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into ~3/4 in cubes
4 carrots, peeled and sliced
6 slices bacon
1/2 cup cream from a can of whole fat coconut milk
1 bunch green onions, sliced
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp smoked paprika

1. Preheat the oven to 425°F.
2. Cook the bacon in a large skillet. Remove the bacon from the pan and set aside. Reserve the bacon grease.
3. In a 9 x 13 baking dish, combine the sweet potatoes, carrots, pepper, salt, paprika and bacon grease. Toss to coat.
4. Bake for 20-30 minutes, stirring once, until the veggies are soft but not mushy.
5. In a large bowl, combine the cooked veggies (drain off any remaining grease), coconut cream, green onions and crumbled cooked bacon. Serve warm or refrigerate for later.

1 comment: