Monday, June 2, 2014

An Unsatisfying Customer Service Experience (Homemade Worcestershire Sauce)

When Tommy was first diagnosed with food allergies, I read a lot of online support forums about kids with food allergies. I don't read those anymore since I feel like I have a good handle on his allergies and the forum posts are very repetitive. One of the things other moms have talked about is calling the 1-800 numbers on food packages and asking for clarification on ingredients. Especially if they contain "spices" or "natural flavorings." Unfortunately in the US only the Top 8 most common food allergens are required to be clearly labeled. Those are fish, shellfish, soy, dairy, wheat, eggs, peanuts and tree nuts. And yes, the list says "wheat" and not "gluten". So that may mean that things can contain barley and rye unless it specifically says gluten free. 

My favorite recipe for beef in the crock pot uses a bunch of Worcestershire Sauce. The ingredients on the label are all things Tommy has now had (even anchovies and tamarind), except for "natural flavorings." I googled recipes for making your own Worcestershire Sauce and about half of them included mustard. So I decided to put on my big girl panties and call Lee and Perrins' customer service.

What a disappointment. The lady that answered the phone said she could not tell me whether or not it contained mustard. She said that even she was not given complete list of ingredients. I understand a company wanting to keep it's recipe a secret, but I hung up the phone feeling very frustrated. Mustard is a relatively common food allergy and is required to be labeled in the European Union and Canada. I bet I'm not the first person who has called asking about mustard. 

So I grumpily decided I'm no longer buying Worcestershire Sauce. Now I'll be making my own from ingredients I already had in the pantry anyway. Lee and Perrin's, you just lost a customer. I read through multiple recipes online and created my own recipe. It doesn't taste exactly like the bottled version, but I sure do like knowing exactly what it's made of. I used some of it the first day I made it, but I bet the flavor will get even better after sitting in the fridge for several days.


Homemade Worcestershire Sauce

1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
2 Tbsp molasses
2 Tbsp coconut aminos (or gluten free soy sauce)
2 Tbsp honey
2 Tbsp fish sauce
Juice from 1 lime
1/2 tsp ground allspice
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp smoked paprika
1/2 tsp granulated garlic
1/2 tsp granulated onion
1/2 tsp ground black pepper

Combine all ingredients in a bowl with a tight fitting lid. Cover and shake until mixed. This can be made in advance and stored in the fridge for several weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment