Thursday, January 9, 2014

Thundersnow and Bison Chili

It's been snowing all day. And we just had thunder and lightening! I'm thankful to be in a warm house with nowhere to go today. 

I made Bison Chili the other day and it turned out great! I'm not real comfortable giving Tommy mystery spice blends, so I made my own chili powder with cumin, garlic powder, cayenne, paprika and oregano. Ben and I loved the chili. Tommy ate a little of the meat, but wouldn't touch most of it. He did of course LOVE the Corn-Free Cornbread.


Bison Chili
Makes 8 cups

20 oz ground bison
1 tsp minced garlic
1 Tbsp ground cumin
2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
2 15 oz cans Great Northern beans, rinsed and drained
2 14.5 oz cans diced tomatoes, undrained
1 medium onion, diced
8 sweet mini peppers or 1 red bell pepper, diced
1/4 cup brown sugar

1. Brown buffalo and minced garlic in a large skillet. Then add the cumin through black pepper. 
2. Add the meat mixture and the remaining ingredients into a slow cooker.
3. Cook on low for 8 hours.

Nutritional Info Per Cup (Calculated from My Fitness Pal)
Calories: 264
Fat: 7 g
Fiber: 6 g
Sugar: 10 g
Sodium: 783 mg
Protein: 21 g

No comments:

Post a Comment