Monday, January 20, 2014

Asian Style Crock Pot Chicken and Spaghetti Squash

I'd like to experiment more with spaghetti squash. It's a great low calorie alternative to wheat pasta and Tommy can eat it. Win win. Today I'm trying Chicken Chow Mein in the crock pot. I'm going to the gym after Ben gets home from work, so I wanted something that I could get going before I left. 

Well, I think the squash may have been a little over cooked. It turned more into a mixture of veggies with an asian style sauce. The first attempt I made at the sauce was a little bland and runny, so I added some starch and more soy sauce and sesame oil. The final result was delicious, even though it really doesn't resemble chow mein at all. So I think this dish is better titled "Asian Style Crock Pot Chicken and Spaghetti Squash". We served it with chili garlic sauce to taste at the table for a little extra spice. 


Tommy liked the chicken but didn't care for the squash. When I was younger, I wouldn't eat something if there was "food touching food." Sadly I think Tommy might be entering that phase. That doesn't mesh well with my love of stir fries and one pot dishes.  I hope it's a short lived phase...

Asian Style Crock Pot Chicken and Spaghetti Squash
6 Servings

1 spaghetti squash
1/2 medium onion, diced
5 medium carrots, peeled and sliced
1/2 cup chicken stock
1/4 cup gluten free soy sauce
1 tsp minced garlic
1 tsp ground ginger
3 tsp sesame oil
2 lbs frozen chicken tenderloins
1 red bell pepper, diced
1 bunch green onions, sliced
1 Tbsp potato starch
(Optional) Chili garlic sauce to taste

1. Wash the spaghetti squash and pierce multiple times with a knife. Place the squash in a large crock pot. Add the carrots and onion to the crock pot.
2. Combine the chicken stock through sesame oil. Pour over the veggies. Cover and cook on low for 7 hours.
3. After 3 hours, add the chicken tenderloins and diced red bell pepper. Cover and continue cooking.
4. With 30 minutes left, remove the squash from the slow cooker and set aside. Add the green onions, cover and continue cooking.
5. After the squash cools, slice in half and scrape out the seeds. Shred the squash flesh with a fork along the circumference of the squash to form noodles.
6. Break up the chicken in the crock pot. Stir in the squash.
7. Scoop some of the cooking liquid into a small bowl. Add the potato starch and stir until the starch is dissolved. Stir the starch liquid into the crock pot. 
8. Optional: Serve with chili garlic sauce for some spice. 

Nutritional Info (From My Fitness Pal)
Calories: 238
Fat: 3 g
Fiber: 4 g
Sugar: 4 g
Sodium: 860 mg
Protein: 37 g

No comments:

Post a Comment