Sunday, January 4, 2015

Shredded Pork Taquitos (Gluten, Corn and Dairy Free)

Welcome to the new year! We had a great holiday season filled with lots of time with friends and family, so I haven't gotten around to posting recipes in a while.

Here's a new one I made tonight. I had a lot of leftover Carolina BBQ Pork and I can only eat so many sandwiches before I'm ready for something different. I decided to make baked pork taquitos. And Tommy LOVED it! It's been a while since I tried a new recipe that Tommy actually ate without any hesitation. I think different varieties of taquitos ("mini burritos") will be coming to our menu soon. These are tasty, relatively easy to make and easy for a toddler to pick up.



If you can use store bought tortillas this would make the dinner super easy. Since I've only found one that Tommy can eat and they're burrito sized and all the way at one specific grocery store I decided to make my own again. I guess I'm just determined to finally master making tortillas. The online pictures and instructions always make them look easy. 

I made a double batch of Gluten-Free Flour Tortillas with 1 cup rice flour, 1/2 cup tapioca starch and 1/2 cup potato starch for the 2 cups of gluten-free all purpose flour blend. I cooked the tortillas two at a time on a non-stick electric griddle set to 350°F and brushed with a little oil. I made a total of 16 tortillas but only 14 fit on my baking sheet. 

I rolled the tortillas out between layers of parchment paper and transferred the parchment paper to the griddle.  These tortillas were by far the easiest I've ever attempted! They actually rolled out and weren't a sticky frustrating mess. I piled all the cooked tortillas up and covered them with a paper towel and they stayed soft and pliable. I was able to roll these into taquitos without having them crack. Super success! Although my belly did get in the way as I was adding the starch to the stand mixer. Oops!  



I used the same nondairy cheese sauce that I used for the Bison Cheeseburger Helper. This time I tried making it in the Vitamix on speed 10 for 5 minutes. But it didn't really thicken as well as when I've made it on the stove-top. At least the cleanup was super easy. I've included the stove-top directions below. 



Shredded Pork Taquitos

14 soft taco sized tortillas
2 cups cooked shredded pork
2 cups shredded green cabbage
1 can full fat coconut milk
1/2 cup nutritional yeast
1 Tbsp Frank's Red Hot Sauce
1/2 Tbsp potato starch
1 tsp salt
1 tsp granulated garlic
1 tsp granulated onion
1 tsp smoked paprika
1/2 tsp ground chipotle powder
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1-2 Tbsp oil

Serve with salsa and guacamole


1. Preheat oven to 425°F. Line one large or two medium rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper. Lightly brush with oil.

2. In a small saucepan combine the coconut milk, nutritional yeast, Frank's and potato starch. Cook over medium heat, whisking continuously until thickened. 

3. In a large bowl, combine the pork, cabbage, cheese sauce, and seasonings. Mix well.

4. Fill each tortilla with a 1/4 cup of pork mixture and roll tightly. Place seam side down on the baking sheet. Repeat until you've used all the fixings. Brush the tops with a little bit of oil.

5. Bake for 18-20 minutes until crispy. Serve with salsa and guacamole. 

No comments:

Post a Comment