Sunday, December 22, 2013

Baked Potato Soup

It's been so cold in Utah lately. And snowy. If I'm not out skiing or snowboarding, my next favorite way to spend a snowy day is cuddled up on the couch with a warm blanket and have a hot bowl of soup for dinner. I used to think that my Roasted Carrot Bacon Soup was my new favorite soup, but this Baked Potato Soup is even better. It's like a warm hug in a bowl. 

There aren't a whole lot of ingredients and it doesn't take all that long to make. And it's even better the next day. Next time I'm definitely going to have to make a double batch.


Baked Potato Soup

3 lbs Russet potatoes, peeled and cubed
6 slices of bacon
1 onion, diced
1 tsp minced garlic
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp smoked paprika
4 cups chicken broth
1 can coconut milk

1. Cook bacon in a dutch oven sized pot over medium heat. Remove bacon when crispy and keep the grease in the pot.
2. Add the onion, garlic, salt, pepper and paprika. Cook until the onion is tender.
3. Add the potatoes and broth. Bring to a boil over high heat and then reduce heat and simmer until the potatoes are very tender. (About 15-20 min).
4. Mash the potatoes in the pot until your desired smoothness. I left some chunks and it added a nice texture.
5. Stir in the coconut milk and crumbled bacon.

No comments:

Post a Comment